PRS 8 - Moving to action
A crucial part of the PRS process involves empowering the stakeholders to take action based on the issues identified at school, district and national levels.
Having conducted the analysis and action planning you are ready to move on to implementation in collaboration with various partners and stakeholders to ensure that issues identified during the research are addressed.
At school level actions that you might take after the production of the School Improvement Plan include:
- Disseminate findings
- Raise awareness of rights
- Strengthen adults’ capacity to respect children’s rights
- Ensure schools respect children’s rights:
- Promoting access and retention
- Using the Promoting Rights in Schools charter to produce school rules
- Promoting child participation in school decision-making processes
- Supporting school clubs for girls and boys
- Developing plans for improving school infrastructure
- Engage with teachers’ unions
- Organise a campaign
- Establish links with the media
- Lobby politicians
- Link with national and international-level advocacy
At district and national level, education programme development should be informed by the issues identified during the PRS process. It is important to ensure that plans and strategies:
- Include an analysis of power and vulnerabilities
- Clearly identify the rights we will be seeking to advance
- Are clear about the changes to be brought about
- Identify the people we will be aligning with and empowering
- Specify the duty-bearers we will be targeting
- Identify allies to engage in solidarity and campaigning work
- Clarify whether we will be holding the government responsible for efficiently delivering existing entitlements or are seeking to change rules, policies or laws
- Identify how we might respond to basic needs in a rights-based way
- Show how the strategy inter-connects with work at other levels.
- Data collection team
- Education stakeholders at different levels
- District Advisory Group / National Steering Committee
- NGO and partner staff
- Consultant researcher (if used)
- Promoting Rights in Schools Handbook, ActionAid, 2011, p. 6-8.
- Promoting Rights in Schools: An Implementation Guide, ActionAid, 2015, p. 35-36.
Help improve this toolbox
How can we improve this toolbox? Give us concrete feedback on what you think is missing.
Here you can download some useful resources.